Meet our Graduate
Working as a broker for Marsh UK, my role involves liaising with Marsh offices around the globe and pitching the expertise of the London insurance market, which remains one of the insurance capitals of the world. Marsh offices overseas will seek the support of the London market on some of their largest and most complex risks. I work with these offices to understand the risks of their clients and how best to service their needs. I will then broke these risks to Lloyd’s syndicates or London company markets to try and secure the most price competitive terms, with the broadest levels of coverage, to best suit the clients’ needs. A broking role at Marsh is heavily built around personal relationships and enables you to work face to face with a lot of household names, on both the client and insurer side.
A typical day within my role can include:
- Preparing for meetings with underwriters to discuss upcoming renewal business or potential new business. This may include creating a broking pack about the client, outlining the scope of their business and the insurance cover they are seeking.
- Going to Lloyd’s to liaise with underwriters. The meetings can range from squaring off outstanding administration queries to broking new business and trying to attain capacity for a programme.
- Sitting in on calls with Marsh overseas offices and their respective clients to gain a detailed understanding of the client’s business practices and the expectations they have of Marsh.
- Creating slips, quote sheets, bordereau’s and other risk- related documentation.
- Attending placement strategy meetings and mapping out placement timelines.
- Handling day-to-day queries from producing offices, to maintain a high level of service to Marsh clients.
The role allows me to work on the accounts of large clients from all industry sectors. Since joining Marsh, I’ve received a fantastic balance of responsibility and support from my team. Within six months I felt comfortable running with some of the team’s smaller risks and assisting some of the more senior members of the team with a number of our flagship accounts. I now have a number of my own accounts and feel that the independence I have been given from the start has enabled me to grow my technical knowledge.